The Business of Meetings –Episode 137 – The Critical Role of Education with Dr. Krzysztof Celuch
We are delighted to be speaking with another rockstar in our industry today! Dr. Krzysztof Celuch has recently been awarded a place in the Hall of Leaders of our industry! He has had an awesome career in academics. He has been with the Convention and Business Bureau and volunteered for many different organizations.
He joins us from Poland to tell his inspiring story and talk about his certifications and the importance of education. He also discusses the academic and voluntary work he does.
We hope you enjoy listening to today’s fascinating conversation with Professor Krzysztof Celuch!
Professor Krzysztof Celuch, Ph.D. MBA, DBA, CMM, CITE, CIS, HMCC, CED – an academic professor and an entrepreneur, Krzysztof specializes in event experiences, event marketing, and management. His scientific research, training, and keynotes are all built on knowledge of economics, business psychology, sociology, marketing, and cultural studies. He conducts workshops and training, gives lectures, and moderates panel discussions, debates, and management meetings. He implements research projects, builds strategies, and provides business consulting services. He helps organizations, institutions, and companies in the areas of management, communication, motivation, and business development, with particular emphasis on the meetings industry (event marketing). He is an associate professor at Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun, deputy rector of Vistula School of Hospitality, and visiting professor in Austria, France, the USA, and China.
Dr. Krzysztof’s education
Dr. Krzysztof believes in education because it can be used to change the world. He likes to listen to others and learn from them. He was happy to have fulfilled his educational goals this year. He joined various industry associations’ certification programs and focused on university education. He likes to tie the different aspects of what he has learned together, implement his knowledge, and share it to bring some heart to the next generation of leaders.
Dr. Krysztof’s journey
Dr. Krysztof used to be a traditional folklore dance instructor. When he was around nineteen, he focused on dancing and started studying at a sports academy. After about two years, he decided to change direction and began working as a tour guide. He was also writing his bachelor’s degree thesis on incentive travel at the time and read the only Polish book available on business tourism.
Coincidentally, a guest in one of Krzysztof’s tour groups was Rob Davidson, the author of the book he had read on business tourism. Krzysztof asked him many questions, and Rob encouraged Krzysztof to become a member of MPI.
Step by step
Dr. Krzysztof joined MPI in 2005. He continued to move forward step by step, writing, listening, and connecting with industry leaders.
Future Leaders Forum
Together with several organization leaders, Dr. Krzysztof started the first chapter of the Future Leaders Forum in Warsaw.
Dr. Krzysztof loves academia and sharing his knowledge! His academic journey began with a dance movement in high school.
The first NGO Dr. Krzysztof got involved with was the International Association of Folklore Festival Traditions (CIOFF).
After joining MPI, Dr. Krzysztof joined IMEX and then the Convention Bureau. He spent five years working for the Warsaw Convention Bureau, during which he loved promoting the capital of Poland! He started as a student intern and worked his way to becoming a manager. The next step in his career was to become the head of Poland’s Convention Bureau, and he spent the next fifteen years there.
A private university
After graduating with his Master’s degree, a private university asked Krzysztof to share his knowledge about tourism and the meetings industry. He is still with them today.
Dr. Krzysztof believes that we should give back what we have previously received.
We need the right information to make informed decisions. Dr. Krzysztof believes that it is crucial to consult the heart and include an emotional component in the decision-making process.
The American way
Dr. Krzysztof enjoys American efficiency and the American way of getting down to business and following up. But he sometimes misses the European chit-chat and storytelling.
A challenging industry
The hospitality industry can be challenging. Dr. Krzysztof finds that people new to the industry tend to lack inspiration. He also finds them not as motivated as those with more experience, unwilling to work hard if they do not earn vast amounts for their efforts, and unprepared when they have arranged to meet someone.
Dr. Krzysztof believes it is vital to be focused and prepared when meeting someone. It’s worth spending a few minutes having a coffee or a drink with them before the meeting to get to know them.
The internet is a helpful tool for preparing for a meeting because it allows you to learn about those you intend to meet.
Half of Dr. Krzysztof’s clients are based in Europe, half of them are in the Middle East, and a few are in the US. In the US, building relationships used to take much longer than it did in Europe. However, since Covid, things have changed.
Dr. Krzysztof spent years volunteering for MPI and many other organizations. Through that, he has met many new people and learned about different cultures and religions. When you volunteer, NGOs can help you build your position and become who you truly are. Krzysztof points out that this is our life and our planet, so we all need to engage, get involved, share our knowledge, and give back in any way we can!
Dr. Krzysztof Celuch Ph.D., DBA, MBA, CMM, CITE, CIS, HMCC, CED – an academic professor and an entrepreneur, Krzysztof specializes in the meetings industry, event marketing, and event management. His scientific research, training, and keynotes are all built on knowledge of economics, business psychology, sociology, marketing, and cultural studies. He conducts workshops and training, gives lectures, and moderates panel discussions, debates, and management meetings. He implements research projects, builds strategies, and provides business consulting services. He helps organizations, institutions, and companies in the areas of management, communication, motivation, and business development, with particular emphasis on the meetings industry (event marketing).
Motivation: “When we meet, We change the world” might be the current slogan of the Meetings Professionals International (MPI) association, but personally, I have always found these words to be a great source of inspiration. Belief in the power of events and being aware of tools making meetings efficient and effective are what made the innovative-sounding “meetings industry” my area of specialty.
Education and professional growth: Diploma in tourism and recreation, doctorate degree in the field of humanities (political sciences), experience gained in international organizations, management of a destination marketing organization (DMO), participation in scientific and research projects – all of these factors contributed to the development of new qualities in the discussed interdisciplinary field.
Achievements and experience:
Scientific and business portfolio:
- 20 years of experience in providing training in an international environment, i.a. in the USA, Scandinavia, Mexico, and Poland
- 15 years of academic experience in the USA, China, and Poland at such universities, as i.a. San Diego State University, Skema Business School, Warsaw School of Tourism and Hospitality Management (part of the Vistula Group of Universities), Warsaw University, Mikołaj Kopernik University in Toruń
- Keynote speaker at scientific and industry congresses, business conferences, kick-off meetings, and motivation-centered events
- Author of 150 articles and five books dedicated to event management
- Holder of international training certifications: MPI Global Training, Sustainability in Tourism, Certified Incentive Specialist, EventCanvas
- Implementation of research projects, including Poland Meetings Impact (The Economic Impact of Poland’s Meetings Industry), the first report of this type in Poland (and eighth in the world
- Conducting destination marketing campaigns
- Management of the cooperation between the business, public and scientific sectors, including the moderation of meetings held by association and corporation boards.
- MPI RISE AWARD Young Professional Achievement 2009/2010 – awarded to individuals under 30 years of age for significant contributions to the development of global business tourism. Dallas, USA
- CIC Young Pacesetter Award 2012 – awarded to individuals for spreading good practices, sharing knowledge, and creating leaders. Convention Industry Council, Washington, USA
- “Za Zasługi DLA Turystyki” 2015 – an honorary distinction awarded to citizens of the Republic of Poland, foreigners, organizations, and other institutions both at home and abroad in recognition of their contribution to the development of Polish tourism and solidifying international cooperation in this field
- “Meeting Architects: 40 Under 40” – a distinction awarded in a competition staged by the Connect Association and publisher of the Connect magazine. I was listed among the 40 leaders of the global meetings industry under 40.
- The recognition diploma, 2012, Ministry of Sport and Tourism, diploma of recognition for contribution to the development of Polish tourism
- DMAI 30 under 30 Award, 2012, Destination Marketing Association International, the prize for persons under 30 years of age for a contribution to the development and marketing of business tourism
- The Meeting Professional Magazine 30 under 30, 2008, the prize for having the greatest impact on the development of business tourism in the world in 2008
- The Meeting Professional Magazine 30 under 30, 2007, the prize for having the greatest impact on the development of business tourism in the world in 2007
Career and research – growth of the meetings industry, contributing to innovations and trends, interpersonal motivation.
Hobbies – mountains (both as a regular tourist and an extreme mountaineering enthusiast looking for challenges), mountain rescuer, lifeguard, folklore dancer
Connect with Eric
Connect with Dr. Krzysztof Celuch
On his Website