Every Independent Meeting Planner should have an accountability buddy…
Recently, I attended an event at the National Croquet Center in Palm Beach. While I was there, I played croquet (What else?!), and it got me thinking…
As they were pairing us up with a partner to play croquet, I thought about why it is essential to have an accountability buddy and how they have helped me to achieve my goals throughout my 20-year career as an independent meeting planner in the Meetings and Events industry.
While I was writing my book, Meeting at C-Level, I used an accountability partner.
She was an integral part of my success in the writing and the launching process of my book. My buddy kept me accountable to my goals and helped me to stretch even further to reach them.
Do you have an accountability partner?
An accountability buddy can help you in many ways. They will commit to holding you responsible for what you are trying to achieve as an entrepreneur.
Here are some advantages to having an accountability partner:
- They will ask you the hard questions, the questions you could not ask yourself
- They will always tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear
- They will help you stay on task, thereby reaching your goals faster
- They will encourage you to be more efficient and productive
- They will not judge you but will cheer you onto success
- They will regularly meet with you to check in on your progress (weekly or daily, depending on your needs)
- They will be a key participant on your personal advisory board
- They will bring a different viewpoint to your projects
- When you make a mistake, they will help you answer what went wrong, how the error happened and brainstorm with you how to avoid the error again
- They will help you develop successful daily habits that will propel you to meet your objectives you have set for yourself
An accountability partner can ask thought-provoking questions, apply business challenges, and statistics to back up his recommendations. They support your business growth with entrepreneurial intellect, global perspective, and innovative insights.
To deepen your bond with your accountability buddy, it is best practice to learn more about them, don’t be afraid to share with them the private details of your business.
The more you learn about them, the stronger your relationship can be, and the more effective your accountability partner can be in helping you achieve your goals.
Your accountability buddy can help you feel empowered to execute the work you need to complete. They will support you with follow up questions that will push you to your highest potential.
By checking in with your accountability partner on a regular basis, they can inspire and challenge you in many areas of your business.
When we surround ourselves with others whom we are accountable to, we lift the bar of success even higher!
“We are stronger together than apart!” ~ Walter Payton
No matter what face-to-face meeting or event you are working on, or the goals you need to achieve, having a colleague who will keep you accountable for what you are doing is vital to you as an event business owner!
Take it from me, when I did not have an accountability buddy, my goals were harder to reach, and it took a lot more self-motivation on my part to achieve my objectives.
Today, I have an accountability buddy with whom I met virtually every week. It keeps me focused, and I feel much more efficient than ever before.
Write down for yourself a list of 10 people who could be your accountability buddy.
Reach out to them today to find the right one and get started working with them next week.